Back to Blogs

Will Brexit affect your work within Education? Easy information for you!

  • Publish Date: Posted over 3 years ago
  • Author: Leah Baker

​Brexit has confused the nation for the last few years and the different deals will cause different outcomes.

If the UK leaves the European Union (EU) with a deal, it has been indicated that the rights of the EU citizens to work in the UK will be conserved until 2023. However, if the UK leaves the EU with a no deal Brexit, there will be other implications in place.

We want to make it a little clearer and put together some information that is currently available if you work within Education and what Brexit means to you.

Teachers who are currently working in the UK can do so without any changes until the 31st of December 2020. From January 2021 there will be an EU Settlement – the teacher/member of staff will need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme by the 31st of December.
If a school wants to employ a teacher coming to the UK from the 1st of January, the teacher will need to apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain – if successful this will allow them to remain and work in the UK for 3 years.

If you have lived continuously in the UK for 5 years and are an EU, EEA and Swiss citizens, you can obtain settled status. If you less than 5 years’ residency, you be granted the pre-settled status until you have accumulated your five years. You can then apply for settled status.
The following link provides easy and digestible information to support you with this process and all the details you need to know.  Click here

Can I still be recruited after 1st January 2021 because of Brexit?

As of January 1st, 2021, the UK will introduce a points-based immigration system which will change how companies can employ teachers that are not nationals of the UK and Ireland. Click the link about for further details about the points-based immigration system.
If you live overseas and plan on arriving in the UK from the 1st January 2021, including anyone from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you will need to use the UK’s points-based immigration system.

Later this year, immigration routes will open for applications to work, study and live in the UK from January 2021 and employers can prepare these changes now.

If you are a citizen in Ireland, you can continue to be able to study, work and live in the UK as you do previously.
If you previously needed a visa to work in the UK, as some Teachers outside of the EEA and Switzerland needed, you can check of you need a visa under current immigration system here

Immigration routes that require a sponsor

Skilled Worker visa

If you are an overseas national coming to work as a teacher in England, then you can apply for a Skilled Worker visa if:

  • you are offered a job by a school that is a licensed Home Office employer-sponsor

  • you can speak, read, write, and understand English

  • your role pays at least: i) £20,480, or ii) the relevant minimum rate for teachers in England – whichever is higher. You can find the minimum rates for teachers on the Get into Teaching website. Pro-rata rates will apply if you work part-time as long as you earn at least £20,480 per annum

A Skilled Worker visa can last up to 5 years. You can switch from a Skilled Worker visa to another visa route without having to leave the UK if you meet the requirements for the other visa route.

Immigration routes that don’t require a sponsor

Graduate visa

From summer 2021, you’ll be able to apply for a Graduate visa on successful completion of your UK degree if you’ve been an international student sponsored by a Home Office licensed student sponsor. This includes certain postgraduate courses such as initial teacher training at UK universities. You’ll be able to study, work, or look for work in the UK at any skill level for up to 2 years after completing your studies (3 years for PhD students), and will not need a sponsor. This includes working as a teacher.

You can switch from a Graduate visa to another visa route (such as the Skilled Worker visa) without having to leave the UK if you meet the requirements for the other visa route.

Youth Mobility Scheme visa

The UK has arrangements in place with eight countries and territories to enable around 20,000 young people to come to the UK each year. You must be 18 to 30 years old to apply and can work while on this visa without a sponsoring employer.

A Youth Mobility Scheme visa lasts up to 2 years. You may be able to switch from a Youth Mobility Scheme visa to another visa route without having to leave the UK. You will need to meet the requirements for the other visa route.

You can find out more about the Youth Mobility Scheme visa under the current immigration system.

For further information about different visa’s, please clear here:

If you need any support or information regarding where you stand with Brexit and you are registered with Dunbar Education feel free to get in touch and we will be happy to help.

To register, click here