Back to Blogs

Teaching Council Requirements – How you can work in the UK!

  • Publish Date: Posted over 3 years ago
  • Author: Leah Baker

How do I become qualified AND relocate to the UK?

One of the biggest concerns we hear from Irish trained teachers is, ‘can I complete my teaching hours in the UK?’ ‘Will my ‘NQT year’ in England count as my Droichead back in Ireland?’ The good news is YES, it most definitely will.

We have received confirmation from the Irish Teaching Council that you can complete your PQE in England and then become fully registered in Ireland.

There are now 2 routes to complete your qualification in the UK, The Teaching Council has announced which may make things a little easier if this is the route you would like to go down.

For your Induction period in the UK to count in Ireland, it needs to meet the below criteria:

  • The Induction process must meet the following criteria to be considered for assessment:

  • Must be completed post qualification as a teacher.

  • Must be a minimum of one year in duration.

  • Must be certified by the competent authority, e.g., Ministry of Education/Teaching Council in the country in which the Induction process was completed.

  • The teacher must have responsibility for a mainstream class and teach a nationally recognised curriculum to the age range 4 to 12-year-olds in respect of Primary teachers and 12 to 18-year-olds in respect of Post Primary teachers

  • A mentoring/support structure must be included in the Induction process.

  • The process must be formalised internally at school level and validated externally at State level.

The following evidence must be submitted with your letter of application:

  • Your academic transcript evidencing the date of completion of your teacher education qualification.

  • Overview of the formal Induction process published by the competent authority and verified by the school/authority as being the process completed.

  • Submission of internal and external results/reports.

In respect of Primary teachers:

  • Dates of duration of the Induction process, specifying number of school days completed and class setting – this must be certified by the school and competent authority.

In respect of Post Primary teachers:

(i) complete Form B, providing evidence of 300 hours’ teaching experience in a recognised Post Primary school

(ii) Dates and duration of the Induction process

  • Both (i) and (ii) must be certified by the school and competent authority.

The above information was taken from the following link –

If you would like further information regards to this, please click here.

iCan Teach UK works with Irish teachers and students regularly and has expert experience, advice, and opportunities if you are looking to work within England. We will ensure we find the correct school and location for you.

For further support, advice, and tips if you are interested in making the move, why not catch our podcast with one of our teachers who has relocated from Ireland to Kent! You can catch this here.

Or why not take a look at iCan’s Instagram – @icanteachuk and see some of our testimonials of students and teachers who explain their easy experience working with iCan Teach UK.

Get in touch today to help you plan your career in the UK.

For more vacancies click here